Full-Time Manager, DBA (Bigdata, Oracle, SQL)
Job Title: Manager, DBA (Bigdata, Oracle, SQL)
Immediate Supervisor: Director or Vice-President
Division: Information Services
Location: Louisville, KY
Design, develop, enhance and maintain all components of Client information technology systems.
Perform analytical, procedural, and diagnostic processes aimed at designing, implementing, documenting, and supporting information technologies. Provide multi-level support for implemented systems. Following project lifecycle methodology and responsible for multiple simultaneous information technology projects.
FUNCTIONAL AREA REQUIREMENTS:
1. Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
2. Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
3. Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
4. Design, test, implement and monitor servers, including database, e-mail, file/print, and backup servers and their associated hardware/software in the enterprise systems.
5. Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
6. Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
7. Recommend and execute modifications to server environment in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
8. Coordinate and collaborate with various Information Services departments to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of corporate servers to meet business demands.
9. Develop strategies for server and related component implementations and architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Expertise in implementing and administering Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, other Windows environments. Oracle databases and Oracle Application Server running on Unix Operating Systems.
2. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the following: DBMS internals and how they work in an OLTP, OLAP and Business Intelligence (BI) environment; query optimization; Windows scripting to perform database administration functions; backup and recovery, security / access requests including verification and granting permissions, licensing agreements and management.
3. UNIX and writing of scripts to perform database administration functions; backup and recovery using backup scripts and Oracle Recovery Manager; and, security / access requests including verification and granting permissions.
4. Hands-on experience with Hadoop (Cloudera) database administration
5. Experience with multiple NoSQL engines and Open Source technologies
6. Working with data delivery teams to setup new Hadoop users. This job includes setting up Kerberos principals and testing HDFS, Hive and MapReduce access for the new users.
7. Thorough understanding of application lifecycle management process including planning, design, development, maintenance and management of multi-terabyte OLTP, OLAP databases in a 24/7 support environment.
8. Development of strategic plan for lifecycle management and enhancements/implementations to/of existing or new technology platforms.
9. Extensive Open Source Big Data platform administration experience, in Hadoop, HDFS, Hbase, Map Reduce, Yarn, Spark, Pig, Hive, Storm, R
10. Manage clustered/non-clustered indexes, index rebuilds, partitioning.
11. Development of long-term database strategies and objectives, standards and procedures for enterprise wide systems, capacity planning.
12. Teaming with technical and business resources to perform implementation and ongoing upgrades of the software.
13. Monitors and maintains physical database structures for data integrity, database performance, quality, recoverability, maintenance and space requirements to maintain optimal service levels.
14. Ensures alignment with enterprise IT operations, applications development and business units to understand and interpret on-going business needs, storage and reporting requirements, and emerging trends.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Manage assigned projects according to IS project management methodology, procedures, and processes.
2. Adherence to established best practices for systems implementation, deployment, monitoring, housekeeping, security, disaster recovery, and backups.
3. Maintain current knowledge through reviews literature, patents and current practices which are in line with company strategic direction. Prepares reports regarding new technology to communicate to appropriate personnel.
4. Define, document, communicate and implement Solutions’ information technologies that meets the company’s requirements in a cost-effective manner that provides acceptable levels of reliability and availability.
5. Hire, develop and manage staff capacity focusing on succession planning, redundant coverage, cost effective alternative staffing solutions to meet service demands.
6. Lead, plan, organize and control daily staff activities using appropriate key performance indicators and industry standard controls.
7. Define, document, communicate and implement industry standard IT General Controls.
8. Vendor management, contract negotiations, contract management, and invoice audits.
9. Analyze systems and take appropriate corrective action(s) to ensure systems performance and availability meet or exceed established service level standards.
10. Expected to follow strict change control management policies designed to ensure that proper planning, execution, and meticulous documentation for projects of all systems supported.
11. Provide detailed support documentation and maintenance of documentation so that all members of team are able to support any systems.
12. Maintain daily/weekly/monthly reports regarding projects, activities, and status of open requests and problems.
13. Provides leadership, mentoring, training and technical guidance to less experienced personnel.
14. 24 x 7 on-call, some weekend and after hours work is required.
15. Performs other duties and special projects as required or assigned by management.
16. Responsibilities and duties may be added, deleted, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
JOB EVALUATION FACTORS:
1. Interpersonal Skills: Competency in nonverbal, oral and written communications: ability to identify, define and explain day-to-day problems and solutions.
2. Education/Experience: Baccalaureate degree in unrelated field with 5 or more years experience.
3. Knowledge: Knowledge of an extensive body of procedures and operations special knowledge developed from specialized training and extensive experience. Independent judgment is a critical element of jobs at this level. Management of multiple teams within the same functional area.
4. Innovation: Complex – Problems and issues requiring broad-based solutions impacting multiple functions. Conceptualize – Develop truly new concepts or products.
5. Responsibility: Direct, but minimally supervised, impact on quality and efficiency of services or operation of company revenues/expenses. Permitted to make decisions on moderately complex problems/issues.